How to: Step up your social strategy by engaging your employees
Your team members can be the key to boosting your business social media strategy
Social media plays a vital role in your marketing, but it’s often a small team within the company, or an outside marketing partner, who’s responsible for coming up with strategies and running your social accounts.
In a world of ever-changing algorithms and preferential treatment for those willing to pay-to-play, you can unlock social media success when you get more of your employees on board.
Join us as we explore how you can create better content, boost your reach, and step up your business social media strategy by inspiring and engaging your employees.
Why your employees should be active in your social media marketing
Your employees are already advocates for your business—if they weren’t, they wouldn’t work there! But many of us don’t realize how important this can be for your marketing.
How many times have you tried a product from a brand you’ve never heard of, simply because a friend recommended it to you? Your company’s social media can work the same way.
By encouraging your employees to get more involved with your social media content, you broaden your reach and tap into audiences you probably wouldn’t have connected with otherwise.
Why it works
Let’s face facts: growing your follower base organically on social media is hard. Not sure how your team members can help? Read these stats:
- Your employees have an average of 1,090 social connections (and growing)
- Employees have 5x more reach than corporate accounts
- Social followers of your employees are 7x more likely to convert. 
As well as helping you reach more people, your employees are also what gives your business its authenticity. Talking about your company culture is one thing, but showing it through the eyes of your employees is what elevates your brand and builds a social presence that your customers can believe in.
How to engage your employees
Ready to get started? It’s time to learn how to turn the different teams within your organization into your allies in social media.
For everyone in the company
- Ask every single person in your company to follow you on every social media platform they actively use. The more followers you have, the more trustworthy your brand will appear to people finding you for the first time.
- Ask your employees to share, like, and comment on company posts. Why? The more engagement your content gets, the more exposure your brand will get organically.
For the leadership team and industry experts
- If there are people in your company who are already sharing great insights and industry news on their personal social media, ask them if you can first share these insights on your company’s page. Then, the individual can “share” to their own personal profiles. This way, your company can benefit from their expertise and offer extra value to your followers.
For team members
- Social media followers love to see what’s really happening! Ask your employees to get involved by sending you (or your marketing team) day-in-the-life and behind-the-scenes photos and videos that can be shared across platforms.
- Take advantage of your employees’ knowledge! Create an open dialogue where all of your team members are welcome to share new ideas for content and new social trends they’ve seen.
- You could also create a social media ambassador program or run an internal competition to reward the employees who are most engaged with your social media.
By encouraging more of your employees to get involved with your business social media strategy, you can elevate your content, reach more people, and build a stronger follower base across all platforms. Time to get posting!
Need help with your business social media strategy?
At Different Perspective, we help businesses in several industries establish brand authority and enrich customer relationships with a comprehensive social media strategy and consistent, relevant and engaging content.
Ready to get started?
More resources for you
Ultimate guide: Supercharge your social media with Instagram Stories for business
Marketing insight: Why a strong online presence is more important now than ever before
Must-read resource: Social media: are you posting what your customers want to see?
1: EveryoneSocial | Employee Advocacy Guide