Learn how to make the right choice for your business website and watch your sales soar
Does your website mean business?
No matter what industry you’re in, your website is arguably the most important part of your marketing. It reinforces your brand, showcases what you offer, and turns visitors into prospects.
Recently, many of us have been reassessing how we present our businesses online. If you’re considering investing in a new website to improve your online presence, it’s important to carefully explore the different options that are available to you.
To help you decide which type of website is right for you, we’ve broken down the most common types of business websites—DIY, template, and custom—into their respective pros and cons.
Continue reading to learn more.
DIY business website
Small businesses and startups that don’t have a marketing budget often turn to DIY basic website builders to keep their website costs low. But while you can often create a website for free or for a small monthly fee, there are certain important limitations to be aware of.
- Easy to use website building platform
- No technical knowledge is needed
- You can build a basic website for free/at a low cost
- No (or very limited) customization options
- You’re often not able to remove the branding of the website building company, so visitors can see that you used a DIY website tool
- You will have to invest your time to build the website instead of prospecting new clients or tending to your employees
- You do not own the website, so if you cancel your subscription your website will disappear.
- DIY websites are usually not recommended if you have plans to run or hire a company to manage digital marketing campaigns.
We recommend that DIY websites are only used for personal websites, such as personal blogs.
Template business website
Often used by companies who are starting out and have a limited budget, template websites can be purchased and installed on popular open-source content management systems such as WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal.
- More customization options than DIY websites
- More affordable than a custom website
- Other businesses will have the same website as you, especially if you choose a template for a specific industry
- The template needs to be installed by someone with technical website knowledge
- Because of the work that’s involved, template websites cost more than DIY websites.
- Templates often have a lack of flexibility, so it’s hard to update the design and add pages as your services change and expand.
Custom business website
A custom website is one that’s designed and developed specifically for your business and its unique needs. This is the right choice if you’re looking for a professional design, an easy to use content management system, and the flexibility to expand your website as your business grows.
- A unique website that’s tailored to your business personality and needs, built by professionals with design and technical website knowledge
- When built on a content management system, you can add new content—new blogs, photos, and videos, for example—without having to hire a web developer
- Custom websites offer almost unlimited flexibility, so that it can evolve as your business expands.
- Custom websites are the best option if you have plans to implement ongoing SEO strategies and run digital ads.
- Because of the work that’s involved, custom websites cost more and typically take longer to build than DIY and template websites.
Ultimately, the type of website you choose will come down to what your business requires and the size of your budget. By carefully assessing the different options available to you, you’ll be able to come to the decision that makes the most sense for your specific needs.
Don’t forget! Your business website is the center of your digital marketing efforts and acts as your 24/7 office. On many occasions it is also a potential client’s first impression of your business—so make sure it sells you well!
Looking for a new business website?
If you’re ready to make your business stand out from the competition, we’re here to help!
We offer custom, fully responsive business websites that work seamlessly across platforms and devices. Our websites are built on WordPress, the world’s leading content management system, meaning they’re very easy to update. We’ll train you on how to add new content, so you don’t have to call us every time you want to add a new blog or photo.
We’ll also help you secure your new website with an SSL certificate and guide you through the website hosting process. You will always own your website completely, and we don’t force you into any website maintenance contracts.
Ready to get started?
Contact us today
More resources for you